Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Stats on Fed Day

Dr. Steenbarger's blog is one of my daily must reads. In the article "How Do Federal Reserve Announcements Affect The Markets?", Dr. Steenbarger wrote that the volatility of the FED day has been exaggerated. The article was written near the end of 2006, I decided to do a quick check to see if the quality has changed.

Since 2004, there have been 48 FOMC announcement. 38 out of 48 has volume higher than the 20-day average. In average, SPY volume on FED day is 12% higher than the 20-day average.

29 out of 48 FED days have high low range greater than 20-day average. The SPY range is roughly 0.33 higher which is slightly more than two S&P points.

The quality Dr. Steenbarger described still holds true three years after writing the article. The most interesting thing I found in my research is that 29 out of 48 FED days close positive for the day. Five days later only 8 out of 29 days remain higher than the next open of the day following the FED day. Conversely, 18 closed lower on FED day and 7 out of 18 remain lower than the open of the next day. The sample is pretty low, but my interpretation is that the market tends to over extend itself on the FED day and also on the open of the following day reversion steeper than usual.

If the scenario plays out, I probably would want to align myself accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment